Question
Posted by: DS | 2010/01/18

Is it too late

Im 27, have a super career and everything a girl could ask for.
My husband is 27 and just cant settle down in a job, it drives me mad. He is not working at the moment and comes up with stupid ideas like going to work at outdoor warehouse etc. I keep telling him that he needs to sit down and decide. He had a good job at sars and quit on a whim. Anyway, is it too late for us to see a therapist regarding a career or job suotable for him. I know how important it is for him to feel like a man and feel like he can provide and I know how it eats at his soul to ask me for money. to say he has messed up a few oppurtunities would be being generous.

I just want him to be in a situation where he can be the best man that he can be.

not even sure what kind of therapist can give a 27 career guidance, is it too late for him to find a career?

Its rarely too late to see a therapist, so long as the person recognizes that there is a real problem and is sincerely prepared to work with the coundellor to work it out.
And as some of us have multuiple careers, and start new careers even in their 60's, its surely not too late for him. But he needs to become serious and prepared to settle in a job and not give in to brief whims.
Good comments, as usual, from Maria

8
Posted by: DS | 2010/01/19

i was thinking that. Thanks Maria

Reply to DS
Posted by: Maria | 2010/01/19

ps. The full physical exam is important, as e.g. thyriod problems can sometimes look like depression but the treatment is very different.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Maria | 2010/01/19

Yup, that' s what it costs. Some medical aids will pay for it. However it would be worthwhile treating the depression first as from personal experience I can tell you that one cannot make important decisions about life while you are depressed.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: DS | 2010/01/19

Absolutely Maria, I also think there is a bit of depression. And he is open to seeing a therapist.

Found a therapist that does psycho metric testing, R2000... WOW!

Reply to DS
Posted by: Maria | 2010/01/19

It sounds as if he hasn' t always been like this? He could have depression or some other problem. Can you encourage him to go for a full medical checkup and see a psychologist/psychiatrist for an evaluation?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: DS | 2010/01/19

Maria, thanks for your comments.
The thing is he doesnt clear his head, he just goes off on some stupid tangent

Reply to DS

Good comments, as usual, from Maria

Posted by: Maria | 2010/01/18

I' m 38 and I' ve been studying towards a new career for the past 7 years, so it' s definitely not too late. However you cannot decide for him, he has to take the initiative. Why is working at Outdoor Warehouse a stupid idea? Sure he won' t make much money but it' s better than not making anything at all and might give him the time he needs to clear his head. It sounds to me that apart from career advice he could perhaps use a bit counselling to help him sort out his wants and needs. Some marriage therapy might also be a good thing. Good luck.

Reply to Maria