Question
Posted by: Concerned wife | 2010/10/14

Is it too early to be happy?

I have my husband back again! I am the wife whose husband was last week diagnosed with major depression and adult ADD. His medication is Cilift 10mg, Stattera 18mg and Molypaxin 50mg.

I cannot describe to you the difference in my husband (and neither can he)! Last night he came home and asked me to put the song "  I feel good.......I feel better than James Brown"  on his MP3 player. When I asked why, he said " .....because I feel good - I feel better than James Brown"  and that he wanted to listen to it over and over as therapy and positive self talk.

He has thanked me for the intervention and for making him the appointment with the pshyciatrist, and says he cannot believe that for all these years he''s lived " like that"  to quote him. He is now quite at peace with the fact that he is seeing a pshyciatrist. He says his world is now a different place to live in, and he does not feel like the universe has closed in on him. He feels like he can cope, and that the anxiety is much less, and that he is now able to focus. He is also sleeping like a baby, for the first time in years.

Even my children have commented that they don''t know this " new"  Dad that has emerged, but that they are loving what they are seeing.

I don''t wnt to sound negative in the midst of this amazing change, but an such a huge change take place in such a short space of time? Should I expect things to go back or can I rejoice that we finally have our husband and father back?

Thanks you CS (an anyone else who gave input) for taking the time to read my post and guide me.

Thank you so much for this encouraging and usful feedback ! Such changes can indeed occur. Now, the path to recovery or stability will probably take a bit longer, and may be bumpier than this - so there may be some days of feeling less than James Brown, but things will pick up again. Some people show a placebo improvement out of sheer positive expectations, which might not last - but I doubt it in this case, just because he was so reluctant to see his shrink. The improvement should continue and become more consolidated. Maybe once it becomes the usual him, it may feel a bit less miraculous, but that's fine. In time you /he will need to discuss things with his psychiatrist about how long to remain on the meds ( usually at LEAST 9 months or so for the depression ) and on long-term outlook, which might need to include longer term meds. perhaps for the depression, and probably for the ADHD.

6
Posted by: just saying! | 2010/10/14

My son of 8 years old was diagnosed with adhd at the age of 7 years and well under control but we have power days and bad days, but keep on encouraging the good things and work through the bad things, my son is progressing at school now and it was hard work and dedication, there is no cure you can only manage it , he is using concerta and is doing fine on it.
Good luck and stay strong. Just look out for depression and appetite.

Reply to just saying!
Posted by: Maria | 2010/10/14

The Strattera should work straight away. He is probably also feeling very relieved that he has been helped, taken seriously, and not dismissed as being " crazy" . That alone makes a big difference.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Woman | 2010/10/14

I meant there is no cure, not so cure, sorry!

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Woman | 2010/10/14

I am very glad to hear of your positive experience so far. Take all the joy you can. ADHD is an ongoing condition. There is so cure. You are going to learn to look for signs. You might want to study the side effects of his medications, so you can put his mind at ease when he gets nervous. Keep the communication channels open and be honest and straightforward when needed.

The will be amazing days and there will be bad days. There might even be days when you will wish that you never found in out. You will deal with people who doesn''t believe ADHD is real. Make sure you keep encouraging him and yourself. eventually the good days will outnumber the bad days. It''s well worth the patience.

I wrote about my husband today. It feels strange to voice my thoughts.

CS, this platform of yours is amazing. Thank you for always taking the time.

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Woman | 2010/10/14

Reply to Woman