Posted by: Martie | 2009-06-10

Is it time for shoulder operation?

Dear Doc
I am right handed and my right shoulder is very painful. Although it is painful it is still a bearable pain - I got quite used to the pain during the last three years. Three years ago I went to a surgeon who sent me for a sonar and xrays - the result was a degree of rotator cuff syndrome, torn infraspinatus and calcifications in the tendons. He didn' t think that surgery would be a useful option and prescriped exercises. Its now three years later and the shoulder is still painful, weak and mostly useless - luckily I do not need it so much so it does not bother me too much. I would just like to know whether there exists surgery that would heal my shoulder, and if so whether it would be worth all the trouble or would not make any significant difference in the long term.
Kind regards

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Martie,

of all the things the surgeon said the most painful is usually calcium deposits in the tendon of the shoulder. If you look at our website ( see under Calcific tendinitis and see if that fits your problem. if so the calcium can be removed with needling or arthroscopic surgery with excellent pain relief

Dr Joe de Beer

Posted by: Martie | 2009-06-12

Charmaine - I think you should start you own thread - it could be confusing to answer both queries at the same time.

Reply to Martie
Posted by: CHARMAINE | 2009-06-12

Dear Dr
For the past 6wks I have been expereincing very painful throbbing pain in my upper rt side back and rt side shoulder with a dull aching pain down the rt arm.I also have pain radiating from neck and cannot fully bend neck forward.Is this causing the shoulder/arm to pain?I am 49yrs old.thank you.