Question
Posted by: Miss BioPlus | 2010/10/22

Is it thwarting my Dieting efforts?

Hello Doc

I hope you are well? i am trying to lose weight and have therefore reduced my food intake and the type of food i eat and i joined a gym,,the problem is i hardly have any energy and rely on bioplus to keep me going..i drink it twice a day..i read somewhere that energy drinks (redbull and the likes) are bad for u as they release energy too quickly etc and can actually make you gain weight..do you think bioplus has the same effect? i would never be able to make it to the gym without it..

Dear Miss BioPlus
Thank you I am well. According to my copy of MIMS, Bioplus contains caffeine and a mixture of B vitamins. The caffeine is a stimulant which in combination with the B vitamins will give you an energy boost, so I don't think that this supplement is actually counteracting your efforts to lose weight. I wonder if your lack of energy is not due to the dietary changes you have made? Have you gone on a starvation diet or have you cut out all carbs? Carbohydrates are a vital fuel for the human body and without carbs one has no energy. So if you have cut out carbs I would recommend that you rather include some low-GI carbs at every meal. To read about the glycaemic index (GI) of foods and how low-GI carbs can help you with sustained energy, click on 'Diet n Food' at the top of this page and then on 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. If you are still so tired after 2-3 weeks of eating low-GI carbs, it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup just to make sure that you are not suffering from a condition like anaemia which would also cause great exhaustion and prevent you from exercising properly.

1

Dear Miss BioPlus