Question
Posted by: Marie | 2010/03/12

Is it the cafeine or the coffee?

Dear Dietdoc, I don''t have much time to read your column, but whenever I do, I enjoy it!

Just two questions from me this time.

I regularly hear that it''s actually good to have a cup or two of coffee a day. What I would like to know is whether it''s the cafeine that''s good or the coffee (bean)? I prefer decaf coffee, (a cup in the morning and one in the afternoon), and therefore don''t know whether I''m missing out on the " goodness"  of cafeine?

Also, is it true that cafeine decreases calcium levels in the body?

Dear Marie
Thank you for your kind words. Both the so-called polyphenols found in coffee beans which are antioxidants and caffeine, which in moderate quantities acts as a mild stimulant and diuretic, can be beneficial. So if you drink decaff you will still obtain the benefits from the polyphenols. Excessive intakes of polyphenols from any source (for example unprocessed grains and cereals) can lower the absorption of minerals like calcium because these polyphenols form insoluble compounds with the calcium that the body struggles to absorb.
Therefore, moderation is the key to good health.

1

Dear Marie