Question
Posted by: E | 2012-06-04

Is it safe?

My partner and I are in a heterosexual relationship. We are wishing to try anal sex. Are there any health precautions to be wary of- both for at the time or in the future?
We have both been cleared of STDs.
Thanks,
E

Dear E,

By practising basic good hygiene exploring anal play is completely safe and there are no additional precautions.

The use of lube and taking things really slow to start when beginning anal penetrative play is recommended. The sphincter muscle at the anal opening is not a voluntary muscle so needs to be stimulated slowly to relax.

Do not force anything into the anus as this could cause tearing or rectal injury. The anal muscle when properly stimulated and as it relaxes in reaction to stimulation can be quite accomodating.

If any deeper penetrative play is going to be explored be that anal penetration using the penis or sex toys, douching may be considered.

If you are going to use condoms, which is recommended, remember to use water based lube.

3
Posted by: Mandisa | 2012-06-04

Good advice above for you. One thing that may be a concern is a heterosexual relationship is one thing, but is it a monogamous relationship?

Reply to Mandisa
Posted by: XXX | 2012-06-04

I suggest you have a look at the " archives"  above.Just always stay clean &  don''t penetrate the anus then the vagina,too many possible " uglies"  can be passed on.

Reply to XXX
Posted by: sexologist | 2012-06-04

Dear E,

Reply to sexologist