Question
Posted by: Sue | 2008/08/03

Is it really that bad?

Dear Dr
I struggled with severe Anorexia Nervosa And Obsessive Compulsive Disorder for 5 years, age 14 - 18. I went to a private clinic for the period of one year, I was given ridiculous amounts of meds, it used to only be 40mg of cipralex, but they started to dabble in anti-psychotics, remeron and such.
Anyway, I am now 20 years of age and fully recovered, I still suffer from clinical depression though, as I have for most of my life. And have been on 20mg of Cipralex for about 2 years now.
Now the actual thing is: I' ve been smoking marijuana for about six months now, sometimes once a month, other times, three times a week, according to availibility. I obviously have no physical dependance, if at times a psychological want. It has made me a much more relaxed person in general, ironically I feel less paranoid, and things do not trouble me nearly as much as it used to, and i' m not even a heavy dagga smoker. I' ve also read on this site that it is can actually prevent lung cancer. Is it really so bad???

It often seems to me that there is a significant overlap between Eating Disorders and OCD. Good to hear that you have fully recovered from all that ---m congratulations. I wonder whether your lifelong sadness is a continuing Major Depression, or perhaps Dysthymia, which is a little less severe but so much longer-lasting. Either way, ADs can help. Some people do find marijuana helps them feel more relaxed.
But any siggestion that it prevents lung cancer strikes me as irresponsible rubbish -- no form of smoking is good for the lungs, and marijuana probably produces even more dirty fumes than tobacco, and I've seen studies suggesting it causes similar lung damage. Its hard to do good research on the effects of any illicit drug, of course, for various fairly obvious easons, so one should be exceedingly cautious in interpreting positive or negative results

1
Posted by: John420 | 2008/09/18

i smoke marajuana because i have A.H.D and it helps with me being so hyper and junk. and shit, its bad for you?? that sucks, oh well

Reply to John420