Question
Posted by: LeeLee | 2010/09/23

Is it ok to exersice the same muscle group daily - and other Q''s

About 3 weeks ago I started my gym routine again. Being a mom, my most obvious problem is my stomach. I do gym 4-5 times a week. I alternate cardio days (40 - 50 mins) with circuit days (although I do do 10mins cardio warmup before I begin the circuit). I do however do targetted abs exersice each day I train. I am not over weight but i do need to tone and i would not mind losing 3 or 4kgs.

My questions:
1. Is it ok for me to do the abs workout everyday (targetted abs routine will range from 5-15 mins a session)
2. using the above explained routine and schedule, is this correct to achieve me goals (weight loss and toning)?
3. Do you recommend anything else in addition to the above
4. There is an 11-week bikini body program on this site... is it advisable to follow something like that.... it''s a really intense program. Is it not too much for one session? or can the cardio and weights be split?
5. if you do weight training and cardio together, is it more beneficial to do the weights or cardio first? and why?

apologies for all the questions..

Kind regards,

Hi Lee

You are certainly not alone with that most obvious problem - many people struggle with specific areas. The key to combatting it is actually not the specific exercises, but those 3 to 4 kg you say you can lose. If you do that, then you'll see definition, which is actually what you're after.

But in terms of the ab execises, yes, you can do them on consecutive days. I wouldn't go every day - you might take every 3rd day off, for example, because if you train hard, you'll definitely feel fatigue in the abs.

I think your overall programme sounds good, in principle. Obviously, there are details that matter, and you'll only work through those with someone, face to face. But the general idea sounds about right.

The most important thing you haven't mentioned is diet - it's almost indispensable to your progress.

I think the bikini body might be worth a try - it's not too much, no, but everyone is different. So you can try it and see. If it's too much for you, then don't worry, stick with what you've planned and it will work. If it does work, then your life is made simpler.

There's no specific order of training. Only for elite athletes for whom weight training serves a very specific purpose. For the rest of us, it makes no difference, so convenience is the best way to do them. The general rule of thumb is do the more important session first.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/09/28

Hi Lee

Reply to fitnessdoc