Question
Posted by: debbie | 2010/03/23

is it ok?

i am interested in studying for a short course that would help me in the future but sadly i cannot afford it at the moment.although it makes me sad,i was willing to wait until i could save up enough money to be able to do this course.my boyfriend of just over a year is offering to pay for the course and says i don''t have to pay him back.he says i should look at it as him just helping out his future wife as we plan to get married.i have always thought of myself as very independent and i am finding it hard to accept this even though i am tempted.another problem is that we have had a lot of problems in the past months as i found it hard to trust him.the trust issue stems from my past relationship with my ex and not necessarily from my relationship with my current bf.we are working on things so that we are prepared for marriage but i fear that we may not work out in the end because we have had so many fights.is it a good idea to let him pay for this course given the situation?

I don't think we can tell you to do in a situation like this. His offer sounds kindly, though there could be problematic implications. Your objection may be partly rational, but perhaps mainly arising from your trust issues. Maybe an investment in some couples counselling sessions, as a first step, woul be a more valuable investment, as you could study next year.

1