Posted by: Justs Saying | 2012-11-05

Is it normal to be scared

My bariatric surgery date is approaching, and I am very scared. Is it normal to feel this way. My logic is telling me that it is, because after all this is major surgery. 99% of me is saying that if I want any chance of a normal life, I have to do this, and belive in my surgeon. 1% of me is saying what if............? My biggest fear is that of complications, and then having to try and find the money to fund the care of those complications. I am self funding the surgery as well, so funds will be pretty much exhausted.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Its surel normal to feel scared before any operation, but, one hopes, not excessively so. Try to clarify what it is that scares you, as this differs between us. For some its the idea of surrendering control to anaesthetic and the folks who'll care for you until you wake up afterwards ; for some its a fear of death or harm that might not be realistic in terms of the actual risks - and one needs to discuss this with the surgeon and team, to be sure you know exactly what to expect - the unknown is usually frightening, and hard to cope with until one knows what it is that will require coping.
One weighs the risks and benefits and decides to go ahea.d. Nothing in life is totally free of risks - remaining severely over-weight is to choose to remain at significant risk of a whole range of complications. And quite probably a bigger risk than that of the operation, and spread out over years rather than a short period. Check with your team about what to expect and what to do post-op, so you can feel more involved and capable.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.