Question
Posted by: Worried Mom | 2012/08/08

Is it normal for a 4yr old to hit themselves?

My daughter has been having a hard time with coping lately she cries all the time and has started bullying at school. She cries if I discipline her and tells me I make her sad. I try my best to help her deal with her feelings, tonight after I put her to bed and she cried, I went to her have her a hug and kiss and told her its bed time, I then walked out and heard her hitting herself and saying uh uh.ni went back in and asked her why she was hurting herself, she says I was making her cross. I''m at my wits end. Does she need professional help or is it a phase?

"Normal" is a difficult word, implying that its somehow what a kid SHOULD do. This isn't USUAL, because most kids don't do this. But it isn't deeply peculiar. But there's some reason for concern, To cry sometimes is usual, to cry "all the time" isn't. And to bully other kids isn't, It might be a phase, but if practical, it'd be worth having her see a child psychologist or psychiatrist for an assessment and advice. It sounds at the least as though something significant has changed in her little life and she is unhappy and trying in some ways to attract attention and concern.
Does she not, when you spend quiet time with her and chat, revealed any thoughts about why she feels cross and sad ?

2
Posted by: Maria | 2012/08/10

It sounds as if she is crying out for help and attention. Has anything recently changed in your lives?

Reply to Maria