Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2008/06/02

Is it measels

Dear Doc

My 15m old boy has a runny nose and a chesty cough. At first it was very phelmgy but now it is a dry cough. He has a runny nose and what seem to be pink eyes. His eyes are very red and swollen with pus coming from it. He is very restless with a so-so appetite and cries when I put him down to sleep (this is very unusual for him). In fact he has not slept at all today. I gave him 5ml of Ponstel earlier today, but it made no difference. He does not have a fever.

Another baby whom we see was diagnosed by the paeditrcian with measels (eventhough he had had is vaccinations). He saw him 7 days before he was diagnosed. Could my son have contracted measels. He has no fever and no rash. He is due to have his MMR vaccination this month. Should he be seen by a doctor of can I just get meds from the pharmacy for the pink eye?

Dear BMJ - it could be the early signs of measles, although they usually have a high fever too with measles. The measles rash typically has a red or reddish brown blotchy appearance, and first usually shows up on the forehead, then spreads downward over the face, neck, and body, then down to the feet. The rash appears 2-4 days after the other symtoms. For now I think treat him symptomatically with Ponstel and get some Chloromycetin eye ointment for his eyes. Make a mixture of luke warm water 1 cup with 1/2 teaspoon salt in it and clean his eyes with cotton wool and this salt mixture. If he develops a rash, take him to the doctor.

2
Posted by: tracey | 2008/10/06

Hi Dr Breedt - I have noticed a rash on my little boy aged 4 it is from under his chin and down to left side of shoulder and a little on the right side - he has no fever. The rash is light pink and looks like fine little pimples. Any chance this could be measles or german measles? thank you tracey

Reply to tracey
Posted by: paddock | 2008/07/11

Hi My sons have a very dry rash that is redish on their legs and the side of their tummy, they do not have a cold or a fever.

they have moaned that the rash on the legs is very sore??
what could it be measles?? No clue??
I'd appreciate some help!!

Reply to paddock