Posted by: Candice | 2009-05-08

Is it mange? Please help!

I have a Labrador puppy who has a fairly big bald patch on his head above his left ear that is not healing! It has now been there for a couple of days......

He keeps scratching it, not giving it time to heal! Could it be mange?

The dogs he interacts with are all very healthy. The wound smells very bad and i can see it bothers him. We keep cleaning it with detol. I live in a small town, the vet over 200km away.

He has had all his injections! I am getting worried though. Please tell me what it is, or how i can treat him!!

Dear Candice

Buy dip with 12% amitraz in. Dip him weekly for 4 weeks. If this is mange if will clear up in a few weeks.

Posted by: Candice | 2009-05-09

Thanks to all replies!

Reply to Candice
Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-08

Instead of dettol, rather get some betadine liquid or hibiscrub.

Reply to Chill

Try and put on an " Elizabeth Collar"  it looks like a bucket with the handle cut off and the bottom cut out and put over the dogs head. Do a google search to see what it looks like.

How do i prevent him from scratching off anything i put on the wound to help?

You can get something from the co-op called " wond olie"  and using a soft paint brush paint on the oil, excellent and will heal quickly. We use it on our dogs ears to keep the flies away, and on scratches and cuts.