Posted by: Worried | 2009-02-23

Is it good?

My husband is on Cilift 20mg in the morning. Evening he takes 2 trepelines, 1 Alzam ,5mg and bedtime 1 Alzam 1mg and 1 Santos Flunitranz 1mg. He tends to be very depressed lately. Is the medication to much? I need to mention that he is a recovering alcoholic and dry now for three months. He also takes 2X Besobrial at 16h00 to prevent relapse. Maybe he is craving alcohol again???

I don't understand treatments that include a great many different meds, though sometimes an individual psychiatrist has good reasons for trying a specific combination. In a recovering alcoholic, I would be reluctant to use Alzam or similar drugs, which, though they may helpmin the phase of stopping the alcohol, can produce dependency on these drugs themselves, if taken for too long, especially in someone whom as an alcoholic, has shown a weaklness for dependency on chemicals. The Besobruial is important to help him remain sober,
It would be best to discuss your sensible concerns with the prescibing doctor, who knows him best. And if this is a GP, perhaps a second opinion from a good local psychiatrist could clarify things usefully