Question
Posted by: Ant | 2011/01/17

Is it enough?

I am aiming to do a half an hour to 40 minutes of aerobics and toning every weekday. I am doing dvd''s of Amy Dixon and Jillian Michaels. I want to lose 5 kg but my goal is to become more fit and to get rid of some of the flab. Will this be enough?

Hi Ant

It could be - there's a few factors that affect how effective exercise is. Diet is the main one and the truth is that if you want to lose weight, then your diet is more important than your training. So, you need to consider seeing a dietican, as a once-off, to have some dietary advice given to you.

For the fitness, you're doing the right kind of thing. Aerobics is good - you might try other types of training to get some variety, but the 40 minutes daily is a good place to start.

But diet is crucial, and I'd encourage you to sort this out upfront!

Ross

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/01/21

Hi Ant

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Tracey | 2011/01/18

Hallo, I am only replying to your post as someone who also loves being fit and toned! I personally think that this training is enough - IF DONE PROPERLY.

However, in my experience (and believe me i have only had a good relationship with my body for the past 5 years!!), your daily diet is important. I actually hate the word diet, because everyone thinks you are talking about SLIMMING. Diet refers to what you eat as a rule. I have found that what I eat is 80% of my overall leanness. Naturally sport helps, but channelling your food in the right direction is the real key.

Also, if you can - going to gym where other people around you are training or if you have a friend you can train with, helps trremendously. I am not sure if you have a gym membership or can afford one - but the classes there for aerobics and toning are generally very good.

You might be on a medical aid that offers a wellness program, giving you access to gyms AND slimming diet experts. Maybe you want to consider that.
xx

Reply to Tracey