Question
Posted by: Zee | 2008/07/15

is it deprerssion??

doc

i think there's something wrong with me this year, i'm generally an active person, i run, i go to gym & attend evening classes for my degree, basically i look after myself & am usually highly motivated however this year i have had persistent feelings of self doubt, dejection, lack of energy, sleeplesness & poor concentration. i want to be by myself most of the time & i'm easily irritated, i haven't been violent though. this feeling lasts for weeks but then i snap out of it & become okay for a while until it returns. someone i spoke to recently suggested that i might have chronic depression, if so, how is it treated? and what in the world is chronic depression??

need help....ASAP

Most Depressions tend to be chronic, in the sense of lasting quite some time unless treated. Some of us are lucky enough to have one or two episodes in our life, others are recurrent. But what was probably meant in the remark you heard was something called Dysthymia ( which you can google ) which is a long-lasting, somewhat milder depression spread out thin, and in which actual sadness might not be the most noticeable feature.
Anyhow, the right next move would be to see a good local psychiatrist for asessment ( or at least a really good GP ) and a discussion of treatment options, to include CBT counselling as well as medication.

1
Posted by: Zee | 2008/07/15

thank you.

Reply to Zee