Question
Posted by: Lebo | 2008/10/28

Is it an obsessive disorder?

Hi, I am not sure what' s wrong with me. I fuss over small things, especially about cleanliness. if I am expecting a visitor, I will clean the house evn though my helper has cleaned it and after the visitor has left, I will clean again. If they just put down their glass after having a drink, I will take it to the kitchen, wash it and put it away. Some visitors have taken notice of this and said I make them uncomfortable. What' s the problem with me? Can I get help?

Of course you can get help. Its a fairly minor degree of obsessiveness --- my mother was rather like that. She'd put out ashtrays for a visitor who smoked, and as soon as they used one, she'd replace it with a clean one, and pop off to the kitchen to wash the first ashtray. A counsellor could help you get this a bit more into perspective, as it can indeed make visitors feel uneasy, as though they are making an awful mess !