Question

Is it addictive?

Dear CS

I am taking Urbanol on a regular basis for anxiety. I can''t feel any effect, but I certainly am much calmer and do not get aroused by insignificant problems. How long can I take it? I take it in the evening before going to bed, but it still makes me sleepy in the morning. Will this get better or stay the same?

many thanks

Generally, it is recommended that one not stay on this familymof sedative tranquillizers for more than a couple of months, as one can become dependent on the drug. Similarly, on the other hand, you should not stop such drugs suddenly, but gradually reduce the dosage. Within this family of drugs, some don't lasdt as long in the body, and are thus less likely to cause a hangover in the morning. There are no special advantages whatever to Urbanol compared to its relatives.
Other drugs including several also used to treat depression, can be very effective in treating anxiety disorders, without the same sort of potential problem with dependency ; and CBT style counselling is a very effective talking treatment for anxiety, not taking very long, and with lasting benefits.
It sounds as though you are being treated by a GP - generally it's wise if any psych problem is significantly troublesome, lasting or complex, to see a proper specialist psychiatrist, even though a GP can then continue to provide prescriptions for whatever treatment the psychiarist recommends

1