Posted by: Vicks | 2009-07-24

Is it a phobia?

Hi I was recently told that my life long fear of coackroaches could infact be a phobia. i hav elaways laughed at the number of phobias out there and am convinced taht ost of them are nonsense so I don' t really want to believe that I could have one. When faced with -|- roaches I cant breathe and scream and cry like a crazy person. If one toucjhes me I have to bath or shower in insanely hot water to remove any traces of it and even now thinking about those horrible little things makes my heart race and my palm sweaty ad causes my chest to feel tight. I cant even look at pictures of them without feeling sick. Ive never been attacked by one or had an infestaion or anything. I am just really terrified of them. Doe sthis sound like a phobia or just extremme disgust or something?

Nobody (musually ) actually likes cockroaches, and they are nasty creatures. Depending on the degree o dislike, one could indeed have a phobia for cockroaches. And the sort of reaction you describe does indeed sound excessive and posibly phobic. Indeed, you provide an excellent textbook description of a phobia. See a good local shrink who can asess you and provide CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which can rid you of this phobia. It won't mean that you'll come to like the critters, but you will be able to deal with them calmly ( and a can of DOOM ) rather than be so unpleasantly affected by such encounters