Question
Posted by: Confused | 2008-12-11

Is it a cry for help or manipulation?

I am so confused. A friend of mine got into a trucking business that I totally don’ t trust. They require him to pay an initiation fee of R300 000 to get 15 trucks. They will get him finance for the trucks and a 5-year contract with a Mine. He has been promised a net profit of R900 000 per month and he will own all the trucks after 5 years. He has borrowed R110 000 from a loan shark and paid it over. Now he must pay the rest like yesterday or he loses everything. The loan shark wants his money  and let’ s not forget the interest.

Now this guy wants me to get a loan in my name for him and he will pay me back from his profits. About 15 years ago he was involved in crime activities and almost got killed. Now he says I am his only hope, if I don’ t get him the money he will have to go back to crime and all these 15 years of being on the straight and narrow will go down the drain. I don’ t trust this business –  there is so many trucking scams doing rounds. I have tested the waters and I can indeed get a loan but I am so uncomfortable with taking it. I don’ t have business experience, and I don’ t have facts to say this is indeed a scam –  but it’ s a lot of money he is asking for and now the going back to crime threats he is making. What do you guys think? Could this business be real –  all these trucks, all this profit? Could he be taking me for a ride with the threats? Like people who commit suicide, they make threats first.

Whataver else he is, your friend sounds like an idiot in business, getting involved way over his head in what sounds like a fraudulent mess with people who could become very nasty. DON'T give him any money --- there won\t be any profits from which he can repay you, and the loan in your name will leave you in debt for years paying back the money these other people will walk off with. Don't let him blackmail you --- he won'\t HAVE to go back into crime --- this present scheme is probably criminal for a start, and he DOES have other choices. This is surely a scam. Unless you can have absolute proff that such a scheme is NOT a scam, assume it IS a scam. If it sounds too good to be true, it always IS. If the scheme would be so profitable --- why would they let him into it, rather than keeping all the profit for themselves ? I suspect you are being taken for a ride --- refuse the invitation.

2
Posted by: Nozi | 2008-12-11

Money makes bad friends, tell him you can' t get the loan, but be careful he doesn' t bully u into lending from the loan shark.

What he does with his life is what he wants so don' t go feeling sorry for him.He can get a job like most of us.His not your problem and definately not your child.

Reply to Nozi
Posted by: ABC | 2008-12-11

If you want to lose your friend as a friend, then lend him the money.

Reply to ABC