Question
Posted by: Marina | 2008/07/15

Is is depression or emotional abuse?

Hi doc, I have known my husband for 11 yrs, married for 6yrs. I think this has gradually developed over the yrs He becomes frustrated/ anxious about small things (Molehill becomes a mountain) and then has a type of a tantrum. If I stay quiet it normally blows over eventually, but if I react in any way it becomes a fight. He can sometimes be verbally hurtful and will shout at me at least once a day. He also insists that I give him goals daily. he has "off" periods where everything is answered with "what does it matter". He also hoards everything and has stuff dating back 30 yrs. I try not to put any pressure on him get rid of things but he just cannot throw anything away. I think he might have depression but do not know how to deal with this anymore. Is it possible or is he just being a bully.

Hard to say exactly what the problem is, Martina, but he doesn't sound well. Maybe a personality disorder, maybe more --- but only a careful assessment by a shrink ( and of course with his cooperation ) is likely to clarify thios, and to clarify what might be do-able about it