Posted by: mb | 2008-11-19

Is ice bad for cats?

Our 1 year old male cat recently got quite sick, and was diagnosed with some sort of virus... It should pass in a few days, but if not we' ll need to do blood tests to determine what we' re dealing with.
One of the worst symptoms was that he had quite a high fever, and to try and cool him down last night I first used a damp washcloth wrapped around a cold compress to stroke him with, and then later I gave him some ice which he really seemed to enjoy! He licked his way through 2 ice cubes. Is this OK? He doesn' t bite or chew the ice, just licks at it till it' s gone. The fever is all but gone now, but I' m just wondering since he really liked it. (he might just have liked it because his mouth and tongue were so hot)

Dear MB

Ice have never harmed a cat this way.

Posted by: mb | 2008-11-20

Thanx for the feedback, CV &  Bear! :)

Reply to mb
Posted by: Bear | 2008-11-19

I dont see how ice can hurt him. Its a nice idea to control fevers.

Reply to Bear