Question
Posted by: Carolina | 2008/05/29

IS HYSTERECTOMY MY ONLY OPTION?

Dear Doc

I am 36 years old. I've had heavy periods since the age of 12 when I started menstruating. I suffered from endometriosis at a young age and subsequently had surgery for this. I had several D&C procedures over the years to try and minimise the monthly bleeding (including taking the pill). My daughter was born prematurely when I was 30 years old. Since her birth I again tried different contraceptive pills, and had a Mirena for approximately 2 years (all very unsuccessful). I was subsequently sterilised and the doctor performed an endometrial resection at the same time - still no improvement. In fact, my periods are getting longer (9 days) and heavier every month. I also suffer from terrible mood swings and exremely sore breasts one week before my period is due. I must also mention that when the doctor performed the sterilisation, he found a fibroid in my womb (probably the cause of my premature labour). The doctor said the only alternative at this stage is to do a hysterectomy. Please can I have your opinion on the matter?

You have tried many other options. I think that the last option is hysterectomy. The only other thing you could try is the Depo provera injection.