Question
Posted by: Booi | 2011/08/17

Is he mad? Senile? Old? OCD?

Hi dear CS
My boss is driving me insane...i think after 60 you should retire. He has become more and more obsessive in the last 2 years, im sure he''s always suffered from OCD (washing his hands many times a day). He does not have a job - i mean he does not come in and have work to do he owns this business and just has to supervise or be here. Sales do there sales, factory does their factoring, accounts do their accounting. We have all worked here for very long some over 25 years - aging staff. After working myself for 20 years i don''t need supervising but yeah....there is nothing for him to do

He needs to go through everything on my desk (when i am not here) he needs to look through my pc (when i am not here) when im on the phone he demands that i put the person on hold so he can know who i am talking to and about what. Or if i ignore him he''ll stand and listen regardless personal or work.
He''s one of those who wants to talk to you when you are on the phone rude rude rude

When someone comes to visit me he''ll come and stand by the door when i ask if i can help he''ll say no. These are reps that just want to chat. Its as if he''s NEEDS to know every word spoken.

Today an IT guy came to assist him with something he then brings him here and say''s so and so is here if you need him and they both stand - i say you finish with him then he can come to me - oh im finished with him - and they just stand. So the guy comes over to my desk and i explain the problem look at the boss and say anything i can help with? he then say''s no and leaves - but 2 or 3 times he pretends to go somewhere so he can pass my office - in the other offices he goes he does nothing just turns and walks out again.

He also talks very loudly so that EVERYONE in 100 kilometers can here what hes saying and that he is working and that its very important. People walking around actually look at each other roll their eyes and laugh.

He does " harass"  others too its not just me, it just irritates me more i think.

He will stop me on my way in to work to ask me what''s in my hands when i say its for someone in the company he''ll have 100 questions even if i bring left over food for the factory staff he''ll want to know why? When i am in another office he will walk in and just look at me and the other person - when i ask if i can help him he''ll say no what are you talking about/what are you doing? when i leave the office he''ll ask the people left there what are they talking about.

He''ll often walk into my office and just look at me i''ll look at him and then look down carry on with my work....once i said you cannot keep on doing this, its not sane! , you need to find something to do or to keep you busy - i have work - i nearly said then go do it.

He " hovers" 

I have nothing to hide not personally or work related he can search as he does through the staff files, or in my drawers or wherever even email there is nothing.

If there is something i''ll do it on my gmail account in any case!

He''s installed camera''s everywhere when i said but they still don''t show the are the theft was (the reason for more cameras) at the entrance he did not know what to answer - he couldn''t tell me but its to watch the staff now can he? Yet the other day in a meeting with the factory staff he was moaning about time keeping and he said im watching you all on the camera - we have clock cards .. haloooo

He also spends money to check internet usage and is obsessed with the reports - even though no one really goes where they should not.

Its driving me insane !!! Have i no right to carry an item (not something we sell) into my workplace to give to another employee? Or bring food for less fortunate? Does he HAVE to know why and how much am i getting for it?

Even when there is food on my desk opened or unopened he just help himself or asks and its not like i can say no. I now hide what i bring to work to eat.

Any suggestions as to what I can do? Just find another job?

How do you tell your boss you think he needs help?

Gosh but this is a REALLY long one !
Well, if retirement after 60 is cumpulsory, I'll have to be going now ...
Sounds like OCD, but also a guy with nothing else to do in his life, someone who would probably react really badly to retirement.
It sounds as though he really badly needs to feel important and useful, even if the things he does are neither.
I understand the problem of telling a boss they need help. I was once testifying as an expert in a major trial at the Supreme Court, before a judge and 2 assessors, when it became clear that one of the assessors was senile and gaga. but there was really nothing I could do about it, in such a situation.
Presumably you hav discussed this problem with others - could you folks come up with some things where his advice could be asked for, things which could keep him busy and feeling important, without actually interfering with anyone else's work ?
I wonder if he has a wife, and what she thinks - she's probably delighted and relieved when he goes to work !

4
Posted by: IT Guy | 2011/08/17

If he is paying to monitor the internet he could read the post!

Reply to IT Guy
Posted by: booi | 2011/08/17

he can see the site name not the posting

Reply to booi
Posted by: SPY CATCHER........... | 2011/08/17

If he is checking your PC and monitoring your internet use he is soooooo going to see this post.
Was this your intention?

Reply to SPY CATCHER...........

Gosh but this is a REALLY long one !