Question
Posted by: Penthos | 2010/10/29

Is having BMD and ADHD possible at the same time?

Dear Cybershrink

I have being diagnosed with BMD for several years now. I am on Lamictin and Seroquel now, and it works fine.

I have been super hyperactive when I was a child. Being on Ritalin, Tegretol, Tofranil and Melleril when I was young. I had to go for a little op a while ago, and I read about adult ADHD in the hospital’ s inhouse magazine. They had a little self-test, and I passed that with flying colours: I can’ t focus on anything…  I get these ideas, and I start on it, just to let it slide… . I can’ t remember facts... I never finish anything… . I was so glad to read that I am not the only one having this problems. I discussed this with my shrink, and he prescribed Concerta, just to see what the effect would be. It worked magic.

Now my first question is: Is it possible to have both ADHD and BMD at the same time?

I’ ve lost all I have several times over due to BMD. I need to get my life going again, but I can’ t get credit anywere because of irresponsible debts in times of mania. Is it all because of mania or does this ADHD thing also plays a role?

I want to control this ADHD myself. Concerta is not cheap, and I don’ t think I’ ll win the fight with the medical aid to also get that as a chronic too. I’ ve read up all I could find about ADHD on the net and in the library. I’ ve learned that Omega 3,6 and 9 are vital, as well as B vitamins. Also that people with ADHD uses BioStrath (tonic) to aid in their management. Am I attempting to fight a loosing battle? Can I, with Omega 3 supplements, BioStrath and a strict gym routine get a grip on this ADHD thing? Or is it going to be another one of those things left undone?

Please sir, I am so, so tired of being this thing that I am. I’ m not even 1 % of what I have it in me to be. I am 34 years old and I have a sound mind, but I have achieved absolutely nothing in my life. I feel a complete and utter -|- up. I have to win this one, Doctor, I am tired of being a looser. I believe at this point in my life, that I will most likely die in a mental hospital, as I see no future for myself anymore.

Thank you.

It is possible to have almost any 2 ( or 3 ) conditions at the same time - it's rare that the actual basis of one disorder prevents one from developing any other. Indeed, some conditions hang together more often than by pure chance - like Depression and Anxiety.
But there is also an issue that some symptoms can turn up in more than one condition, without one having both of them, so a careful assessment by a skilled shrink is necessary to try to distinguish just what is going on.
Treatment can be tricky, where the effects or side-effects of on condition might stir problems in another. Some of the stimulants used in treating ADHD could possibly stir manic-type problems in Bipolar, for instance.
There is little good research on the simultaneous treatment of duel diagnosis situations.
Inability to get credit can be a nuisance - but it can be fruitful to live so far as possible within your means, and after a period of stability, maybe you can make a plan with your bank if there are purchases that need credit.
There is NO good eidence of the value of the varied supplements you mention, in this dual diagnosis ( indeed, not much good evidence of their value in ADHD alone ).
Your concluding remarks suggest you have become awfully downhearted and disporisited by this current situation - but I'm sure that, working with your psychiatrist ( who needs to be kep fully informed about this ) you will be able to regain control of the situation and remain or become productive and content

6

Posted by: Woman | 2010/10/29

If BMD does stand for Bipolar, then I can tell you that I know someone who id bipolar and has adult ADHD. Your best best is *always* to seek a psychiatrist who specialises in this. My hubby''s psych told him that mental conditions can interlink - Many ppl with ADHD can have OCD or depression or bipolar or aspergers. If you think you may have it, speak to your psych.

Reply to Woman
Posted by: V | 2010/10/29

Bipolar Mood Disorder.

Reply to V
Posted by: Maria | 2010/10/29

Bipolar?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Jordan | 2010/10/29

Some type of Mood Disorder, I think.

Reply to Jordan
Posted by: Maria | 2010/10/29

What is BMD?

Reply to Maria