Question
Posted by: Kim | 2008/10/20

IS FRUIT SALAD FATTENING

Dear DietDoc

I recently lost 12kgs but have subsequently put on 2kgs within the last 3 months. I am struggling to maintain the weightloss and was wondering if this could be due to fact that I eat too much fruit.

I have a fruit salad almost daily, either for breakfast or lunch consisting of the following: 1 apple  1 banana  5 strawberries, some pineapple  30g of raisans and 1 small tub of fat free yogurt. I usually follow this with a seedbar or bran muffin.

Am I eating too much fruit and could this be the cause of the 2kg weight gain?

Looking forward to your response!

Dear Kim
Fruit salad in general has an energy content of about 200 kJ per 100g, so you can weigh the amount you eat and calculate its energy content. 200 kJ is not high, and I wonder if the seedbar or bran muffin are not causing the problem. Check on the label of the seedbar how much energy it contains. Bran muffins according to the SA Food Tables contain about 1148 kJ per 100g - compare this to the modest 200 kJ/100g of the fruit salad and I would reckon that the bran muffin and/or seedbar are the culprits!