Posted by: Konrad | 2009-10-30

Is fluoxetine habit forming or harmful in any way?

Good day

I am in a treatment centre where the use of anti depressants and mood stabilisers are strongly discouraged, even though prescribed by a psychiatrist for bi-polar mood disorder. Management claim that the use of such medication is harmfull, habit - forming, and puts you on an unnatural " high" . Could in the know, with some authority, please back me up in proving that this is not the case?

Conditions like bi-polar disease, as well as depression etc., are mood disorders caused by a lack of certain hormones in the brain. It is treated like any other disease with psycho therapy and medication. The medication is very important and a product like Fluoxetine will not put you on an unnatural high. These drugs prescribed in the correct dose and for the correct diagnosis are not habit forming but treatment for the condition.

Please refer to the following links for more information:

It is irresponsible not to treat a person with a mood disorder with the correct medication, as there is a biological cause for the mood disorder.

Posted by: psychologist | 2009-10-30

The Doctor can tell you more about the chemical impact of such drugs, but internationally, I believe, anti-depressant therapy in conjunction with psychotherapy is considered to be best practice and the " evidence based treatment"  recommended when it comes to treating depression and anxiety.

Reply to psychologist