Question
Posted by: Queen | 2011/05/23

Is FB addictive?

Is facebook addictive? I''ve noticed that I''ve been checking it too often even during working hours. Most people seem to be updating their statuses during work hours which really makes me wonder about it being addictive.

NO, it's no addictive, and its actually very unhelpful when people are encouraged by naive counsellors, psychobabblers and journalists, to label all forms of maladaptive or inconvenient behaviour choices as "addiction", especially as this implies that it is not your personal responsibility and that there's nothing much you can do about it.
Facebook is a sad waste of time, cunningly designed to encourage people to waste their time on it, and to create fantasies that they're doing something meaningful and worthwhile, that they are finding actual friends instead of artificial "friends" ; and the comforting delusion that there are actual people out there who genuinely care about you and what you do and think. And that those people are so anxious to know immediately about every tiny event and thought in your life, that "Updating your profile" brings joy to their lives.
Much use of Favebook and Twitter, etc, in an office suggests boredom with badly planned work, poor supervision and morale, and people who find no meaning in what they do.

3
Posted by: mikky | 2011/05/23

Yay for CyberShrink!

Also think that it opens avenues for people who were in your past to re-enter your present. There is a reason people arent in your REAL life now, and to invite them to be a part of your life because Facebook etc allows it goes against the natural ways of how life in the real world works, people come and go for a reason. I wish there were statistics available that show the number of relationships destroyed by these mediums. Im sure we would be horrified.

The devil makes work for idle hands.

Reply to mikky
Posted by: i am | 2011/05/23

i spend my whole day on it. Yes it is and it gets worse. I get up and it''s the first thing i check, i go to work and when i get there the first 2 hours is on fb. i go home and before i cook i check facebook. The games are really addictive.

Reply to i am