Question
Posted by: tracy | 2008/09/15

is ephedrine banned in SA?

I know they took Thinz and all those appetite suppresants off the shelves a while ago. Even Sinucons are schedule 6 due to the ephedrine in them.
But ephedrine in weightloss supplements / fat burners etc ? Is that also banned?
The guy at Dischem says they have no supplements with the ingredient ephedrine.
Then, dietdoc, why do u tell people to stay away from ephedrine and rather avoid it - if we can' t even get it?
ie. i am looking for ma haung or ephedra supplements and do find they work better than anything else.

Dear Tracy
The problem is that until a few months ago it was possible to buy any amount of slimming pills that contained ephedrine at any pharmacy without a prescription. Now there are still the over-the-counter products that contain ephedra which is just as harmful esp as regards addiction (I had a Reader telling me the other day she was addicted for 16 years!) and products that contain synephrine that slip through the net. I would like to see all these diet products that contain synephrine, ephedra, Ma Huang, etc banned because while some people can use them for short periods to lose weight, most people develop addiction and dependence - they can't live without the 'high' which is another side-effect of these products besides their appetite suppressant properties. So be very careful that you don't get hooked on those 'natural' products that still contain dangerous substances.
Take care

1
Posted by: v | 2008/09/16

Tab, coke zer, canderal and sprite zero etc. has epehedrine in them. If u check the label on the bottels. I used to get stommache cramps and couldn' t find the cause until my doc told me to stop using natural sweetners. so i use less sugar lateley and feel better.

Reply to v