Is Depression a form of Disability

I just want to know, is Depression classed as a disabilty. The reaon I ask is I have not been able to work since April last year. I have had numerous boughts of depression bad enough to knock me flat for days on end. I am on anti depressants but unfortunately they have not managed to find the correct one for me as yet. Coupled with the depression I have the constant fear of not being able to bring in an income of any sort. Is there not a short term disability facility which allows one who has worked for more than 15 years to be able to claim a small income if you will. My symptoms are: Heavy feelings of sadness and doom. Constant guilt at being a burden on those around me. Panic attacks. Insomnia, I cannot sleep at night but sleep during the day and when I do sleep its only for short periods of time. I have NO concentration whatsoever and if someone asks me to do more than one task I go into a flat spin. I know this is not condusive to a working environment but at the same time not being able to earn anything makes the anxiety and depression worse. Surely if one has worked for more than 10 years and genuinly cannot work while waiting for the right meds to work one could claim a small portion a month. I do not want this to be a permanent thing but until I can make it back into society want to know what my options are.

Expert ImageHandicap Expert

Depression can be classed as a disability. Therefore, it should be well treated and well diagnosed. Consult your nearest psychiatrist to assess you and to write a report.