Posted by: Zoe | 2009-01-05

Is D+C nec after miscarriage at 5wks?

Hi Doc,

I seem to be having a miscarriage (after TTCing for 2.5 yrs, on a clomid cycle). I' m 5 wks pg. My 1st beta HCG at 16 DPO was 14.8 and then at 18 DPO it was 17.7. Now, 2 days later I' m cramping and spotting. I understand that this pg is probably not viable.

Would I need a D+C this early? How would a doctor decide if one was necessary? Do I need to do another HCG to check that it has gone to < 5?

Thanking you in anticipation for your help!!

You should not be trying to manage this on your own, but should see a doctor, who will decide whether further bloods are necessary and whether a D&C is necessary. This will be decided on the basis of an examination.