Posted by: Momof3 | 2011-08-30

Is Cholestrol pill causing lack of periods ?

Hi GynaeDoc.

I am 51 yrs old. have had 3 sons , 25, 22 &  17 and have type2 Diabetes. Dr has increased my Diabetic meds to 2 tabs Diamecron , -I used to take 1 and 3 tabs Glucophage XR (as before) this past month. I had blood tests done which showed its not under control &  he added a Cholesterol pill now too -Adco- Simvastatin 20mg. Been on the new tabs fro a month now. I was due to menstruate on 18th Aug -3 weeks now and no sign of it. i have symptoms of PMs, depression, irritability, bloated stomach, like i can burst. can this new cholesterol pill be causing the problem as I have been regular , every 28 days for yrs now. I did skip one month last year though. I am also worried about my liver as I have Thalaseamia B (not the bad one) &  according to dietdoc - one should take vit b6 &  12 to help the liver when taking this med. My GP says my good cholesterol is too low. Should I just wait it out &  see if my period returns next cycle or see my GP- I am not pregnant as hubby had vasectomy yrs ago. -so dont need to worry about that now.
Please advise.

At your age, the likliest cause for the missed period is the start of menopause. I don't think that it is related to your medication. With menopause you usually start by skipping periods and they get less frequent till they stop altogether.