Question
Posted by: Trev | 2011/04/11

Is cancer treatable?

Hi- recently,I lost a family memeber to cancer[still fairly young],in addition to this,several of my friends/colleagues etc-all of which seemed to be in good health prior to the diagnoses. Most werent even smokers and had a healthy lifestyle. It seems to be on the increase,and I often wonder if there is in reality any effective long term treatment.
I have often wondered if the cemo and/or radiation doesnt finish them off completely, by destroying that little bit of resiliance left in the body.
I have read that there are very effective and alternative methods of treatment, but these arent popular amongst the medical profession,as it would have an adverse financial effect on the profession.Is there any truth in this?

Hallo Trev
Radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy is often not a cure for cancer, but is treatment that puts cancer into remission, improving quality of life by shrinking the tumour, and winning the patient more time. Cancers caught early can be cured in many cases (especially blood cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer and colon cancer) but if it is already in a late stage the cancer treatment won't usually get rid of the cancer 100%. Billions of dollars are spent on cancer research yearly and I can assure you that the medications available on the market were tested in scientific clinical trials. The FDA (and other regulatory bodies) does not approve any medication that does not show proof statistically that it works better than existing medication on the market. There are many alternative medications available but none or very few have been tested scientifically and proven to be effective and safe. Of course chemotherapy and radiotherapy have negative side effects and the oncologist should discuss all the pro's and con's as well as the results expected, with a patient before initiating treatment. See http://www.cancer.gov/

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/11

Hallo Trev