Question
Posted by: Marna | 2010/11/04

Is bread fattening?

I want to know if bread is bad when trying to lose weight as I have been told by my personal trainer not to eat rice, pasta, bread or potatoes especially at night?

Marna

Dear Mama
Bread, rice, pasta and potatoes are not 'bad' foods at any time. In fact there are no 'bad' or 'good' foods, and "all foods can fit" (one of the mottos of the Association for Dietetics in SA (ADSA). Carbohydrates actually have the lowest energy content (16 kJ per gram) of all the macronutrients (proteins provide 17 kJ/g and fats a whopping 37 kJ/g). It is therefore more logical to cut down on the fats that you eat in general and the fats that you may add to carbohydrate foods. For example lashings of margarine, butter, oil, mayonnaise, sour cream, rich sauces, etc, that are often added to carbs. I am also amazed that your personal trainer says you should avoid carbs because carbohydrates are the body's best source of readily available energy which you need if you are doing a strenuous exercise routine. The athletes who compete in the Tour de France obtain up to 70% of their energy from carbs and they are probably the thinnest, fittest athletes. I also don't understand the recommendation that you should not eat carbs at night. Unless you sit down, eat supper and go to bed immediately afterwards, the composition of your meal at night is not going to make you gain more or less weight. If you do go to bed at 6 or 7 pm (?) then just eat a light meal including some carbs (e.g. pasta with a vegetable sauces and some fruit) so that you don't have a full stomach when you go to bed. If you go to bed 2-3 hours after supper then this does not apply.

2
Posted by: JUST ME | 2010/11/04

You can have low gi bread or Whole wheat bread, instead of white bread. You can also have low gi rice like tastic and whole wheat pasta and that will be ok for you. I am not sure about the potatoes though , I personally leave out potatoes in my meals as I am also trying to loose weight.

Reply to JUST ME

Dear Mama