Question
Posted by: Graham Clarke | 2011/04/02

Is Bioplus safe taking it daily?

Hi There

I am a quadriplegic after suffering from the locked-in syndrome. I have a Bioplus almost daily and I would like to hear your comments. Are they good, bad or a waste of money. And, are there any alternatives if you think they are bad.

Thanks very much. Enjoy the day. Cheers Graham

Dear Graham
This a rather difficult question to answer because I don't know if you, as a quadriplegic after suffering from Locked-in syndrome, are able to eat standard foods or if you receive liquid meal supplements as a source of your nutrition? Bioplus contains a mixture of B vitamins and some caffeine. It is a vitamin B tonic that is used after illnesses like infections to stimulate debilitated patients. According to my copy of MIMS it is contra-indicated in mechanical obstruction of the ileus (part of the small bowel). Potential side-effects include constipation and other disturbances of the digestive tract, including bleeding, palpitations, central nervous system effects and increased gastric secretion. If you are not able to eat solid food and receive your nutrition via an oral liquid diet or via a tube, then the feeds should contain all the nutrients you require and additional supplementation may not be necessary. The fact that Bioplus contains some caffeine which is a stimulant, can cause the digestive tract effects such as bleeding of the GI tract and exacerbation of any ulcers that may be present. I think that you should just check with your doctor if taking Bioplus is appropriate in your condition. From a nutritional point of view, it is generally recommended that patients use a complete vitamin and mineral supplement such as Centrum or Supradyn (not just B vitamins) because nutrients tend to work better when taken in combination, if the patient has an inadequate food intake or is debilitated. However, such vitamin and mineral supplements should not be taken if you are receiving other vitamins and minerals from a liquid feed for example, as there is a problem with taking excessive amounts of the fat-soluble vitamins (esp A and D), because this can cause hypervitaminosis A and D. It is also recommended that if you are receiving an adequate diet, that one should not take vitamin and mineral supplements every day, but about 2-3 times per week.
I would, thus suggest that you discuss the use of any vitamin and mineral supplements with the doctor in charge.

1

Dear Graham