Posted by: spondy | 2009-07-16

Is a biokineticist the right way to go?

I am a 29yr woman and have been diagnosed with cervical spondylosis (C6/C7). I normally exercise outdoors 3 times a week (cardio &  toning combo) but am concerned that I need to adjust my exercise routine due to the neck pain.

Where is the right place to start? (my doctor wasn' t very helpful on exercise info). I' ve been reading on your forum about biokineticist - what do they do &  must I ask them for help?
Or should I go to a personal trainer?

Hi Spondy

If you know that diagnosis is correct, then yes, a bio should be able to help you. This is their area of expertise, after all. They're trained in exercise as a form of rehabilitation, or prevention of disease and injury. So this is right up their alley.

Personal trainers tend to have less specific knowledge about medical conditions - not that I'm generalising, I imagine there are some biokineticists who know next to nothing, and some personal trainers who know a lot. But biokineticists should be perfectly able to help you out.

Not sure where you are, else I could refer you on. But hopefully you can find one who is good and they'll be able to adjust your training and help you out

Posted by: Caddy | 2009-07-17

I have been seeing a biokinetics for the last 5 months - have lost a total of 17,1KG. She is great. I exercise 4 times a week with her. 2 days cardio, 1 day arms (weights) and 1 day legs (lower body) If you want to loose weight a bio is the way to go. i am based in Cape.

Reply to Caddy