Question
Posted by: Maja | 2008/09/20

Irritating problem with one nostril

Hi. For the last few weeks I have this really irritating problem with my right nostril. It seems ' clogged up'  with a build-up with mucus (if that' s the right word) and it' s worse in the morning. It started suddenly and out of the blue. The problem is it' s so irritating I have to ' fiddle'  with my nose and now it' s quite sore. Even if I ' clear'  it soon build up again. I can breathe easily though and the other nostril seems fine. I also wake up with a very dry nose, whole nose and I suspect I have post nasal drip as well. I know it' s probably because I smoke and have my dog sleeping in front of my bed - for safety reasons as I' m living on a farm and because there is lots of break-ins around here. About a month ago I got a severe asthma attack for the first time in my life. My doctor diagnosed rhinitis and advised me to take it easy on the smoking and to let my dog sleep elsewhere. I did that but my dog is sleeping in my room again and I still smoke, although a lot less and not in my room anymore. I haven' t had a cold or anything recently and I' m in top form else wise. Healthy and full of energy. I do sometimes have to use my venteze pump which my doctor prescribed. But only about once a week, when I wake up with a wheezing chest and clogged up nose. I' ve found I' ve felt this way even if my dog did not stay the whole night in front of my bed, the last few nights he slept in the passage in front of my room and not even remotely close to me but still I have this problem nose. Could it also be because I leave my heater on - I live in a very cold house. Thank you.

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It is important to consult an ENT specialist, to have tests done to evaluate your sinusses and your response to allergens. It sounds like if you have an allergic sinusitis and the blocking of the one nostril can be due to a sinus polyp.

Kind regards