Posted by: Bloaty | 2012-07-03

Irritated stomach

Good day doc

I am in my early 20''s and have been battling with a rather irritated stomach for about two years now. It primarily started after taking two courses of the Tavanic antibiotic for an infection that I had. I had a Gastroscopy which revealed that my stomach lining is irritated and red and that I have Barretts Oesophagus, but it was negative for H. Pylori. So I have been on 40mg Nexiam daily since then.

The Nexiam seems to be helping a great deal but I often battle with a lot of bloatedness and it appears that certain foods like chocolate and spicy food aggravate it more. The stomach winds also smell really bad on a bad day and are plenty.

I''ve never had any pain of any sort, I just have some minor anal discomfort from time to time after bowel movements but my GP is convinced that is just due to a small internal hemorrhoid.

My biggest worry at this stage is that my stools are never of a constant consistency. It varies between dry and broken up stools to sometimes large and normal stools and is seldom thinner.

Do you think I need to have a Colonoscopy done at my age or I am just the victim of possible IBS here?

Thank you and regards

It is possible that you are suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome but I do suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist for an examination to have a proper diagnosis made. IBS can be treated and controlled with medication but it will be best to get advice from a specialist.