Question
Posted by: IB | 2010-09-08

Irritated bowel?

Dear doctor

I really hope you can give me advice.

For the past month or two I have been battling with constipation and irregularity. I am going through a stressful time as I will be writing exams in October and I think this may be the reason.

It initially started as constipation where I had to strain to get thin strings of faeces out. After a bowel movement and wiping properly, at that stage, it felt as though my anus was " wet"  with faeces for hours after being to the toilet but yet when going to check and wiping there was nothing on the toilet paper. After I had winds there was however a squirt of liquid-like faeces, very little. I was rather irregular at that stage too and until recently I had an EXTREME amount of tummy winds daily.

The situation improved a while ago and the structure of the faeces sort of returned to normal. It lasted about 2-3 weeks whereafter I recently became irregular again with my anus feeling uncomfortable after a bowel movement.

I have taken a few tablets of LP299V but I am not sure whether it has helped. I used it because I have recently been on a few courses of antibiotics and thought I maybe needed to replace the good bacteria in my system.

What can you suggest? Does this sound like something I should worry about? The winds seem to be returning as well.

Thank you in advance.

Hallo IB
Try taking LP299v or other probiotic three times a day with Pancreoflat to help your digestion, and take Fybogel orange (or the dischem generic brand) one sachet at night. If you like yogurt, eat a small container of Activia each morning. If this does not help in 2-3 weeks you should ask your GP to refer you to a gastroenterologist for further tests to exclude spastic colon.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-09-08

Hallo IB