Posted by: Milly | 2009-04-22

Irritability &  People Pleasing behaviour

I am bipolar and become very irritable. I feel like hitting things and throwing things. By the end of the day I run out of the office frustrated. Luckily I have good friends that let me blow off steam. I think what is causing the irritation is the fact that my colleage, who is my senior dumps all the work on me. Some work is just beneath her. I have to do all the work that is " hard labour"  like packing boxes for shipping, making photocopies (1000' s) and keeping the admin up to date. Plus I am responsible for 70% of the clients and she 30%. She only does what she likes and what is not beneath her. She gets away with it because she says she has other clients too- I also have. We all have to tie up loose ends on contracts that ended. I just feel, if she wants to take clients, she should do ALL the work for the clients. I work from 7-18h00 and she works from 10-3. She says she works from home. I was hospitalised for a serious condition for 5 days and they almost lost it at the office. She made me feel so guilty for being sick. I did not even switch off my phone, and when discharged I worked from home. They made such an issue about the sick leave. Then I felt like saying, but don' t you realise that your complaining about my workload?
I know I' m the junior, and if I want a good reference in the future I should do my best. But it is driving me mad. If I did not end up in Hospital I would have propably landed up in a Psychiatric Institution.
How much do you take from your senior? I have the secretary instructions to refer her clients requests to her and not to me. I also refer their questions to her. We are busy with a big project at the moment.
My psychologist says that I' m a people pleaser and that they are manipulating me. I know it' s true. But I' m scared of the reaction if I become assertive. They (the senior and our manager) victimised my in the past. We are a very small office and do not have an HR.
I feel the pressure is causing the irritability. my psychiatrist does not want to increase my meds any more.
I am looking for another job, but it will take time.
How do I say " no"  in a nice way?

As for the iritability, and there seems to be good reasons for geting irritated, maybe some gym time and boxing lessons might help ? And isn't your colleagues boss concerned about how very little work she does ? Is the allocation of work between you acually entirely up to her, and is this how her boss wants things to be ? Isn't Why does nobody else notice how few hours she actually spends at work ? Has she ever dared to go away on sick leave, and allow people to discover that she is not missed ?
How can ANYONE be "her client" unles she does all the work for them and directly handles all their calls and needs ? Maybe you need the advice of a good labour lawyer ( isn't there some such new expert within H24 now ? ) and maybe Dept of Labour.
And let's see what other readers can contribute positively

what if you don't care what other people is doing around you, but they still irritate you when talking to you. you feel like running away to a place where there is no people.