Question
Posted by: Christy | 2008-12-09

Irregular periods after sterilisation

I was sterilised a few months ago with the birth of my 2nd baby and now I have my period every two weeks for two weeks long. It usually starts very light and light brown in colour for about a week ad then full force and painful for another week, reddish brown, but all the time with a bit of a offensive smell. Not just the usual smell of blood. (please excuse the gory detail...) And major PMS. Before I went on the pill years ago I had painful, but regular periods. I had the sterilisation done so that I do not have to use the pill anymore (bad veins). Should I be concerned about the smell and will my periods become regular again with time?
Thank you kindly.

You should be concerned and definitely need a gynae check-up.