Question
Posted by: Jane | 2010/02/01

Irregular Periods

I’ m 44 years old and for the past 5 months my menstrual periods have been irregular. First time 21 days cycle, then next month normal 28 day cycle, then 23 days cycle and then 24 and now this month 16 day cycle. The periods are no different from before, and still last the normal 3 days and the flow is the same, not heavier or less than before and no pain or discomfort. I have been off contraceptives for 3 years. Would it be a good idea to go back on the pill to regulate my cycle or is y age the cause of this. I do see my Gynaecologist every year but when I last visited him I was not experiencing this problem so could not discuss it with him.

Please advise.

If all was well at the last visit, it is most likely hormonal related to your age. Why don't you just watch it for a while.

1