Question
Posted by: Anon-D | 2010/12/19

Irregular period (after five months) following coming off the pill to fall pregnant

I went off my pill (Yaz) in July to try falling pregnant. I have been on the pill for about 9 years (triphasil, nordette and then Yaz). In August I got my period after 28 days but it was very light (just a few blood spots). In september (28 days) my periods were really heavy. I missed my period in October (home pregnancy test was negative) and got my period in november after 34 days which used to be the length of my cycle before I started taking the pill. Now in december its 40 days and my period still hasn''t arrived and the home pregnancy tests I''ve taken are negative. I feel a bit bloated and uncomfortable but with no other signs of my period arriving anytime soon (e.g. cramps).SHould i be concerned? I have an appointment with my gynae at the end of January...should I get an earlier consult if possible or see a gp.

It may be that you are not ovulating regularly. This can happen for a few months after stopping the Pill. There is no need to bring your appointment forward.

1