Question
Posted by: Executive | 2011/04/14

Irregular heartbeat

Hi dr,
I''m a 48y old male with a stressful job. I have had executive medicals before (stressECG included) which turned out fine. However, I''ve lately experienced an irregular heartbeat and a doctor friend thought it might be ventricular extrasystoles.
Should this be checked out? Is it normal for someone my age to have these?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Executive.

Ventricular (and atrial) extrasystoles are common even in healthy hearts. Provided a. you have no other symptomsl, b. the extrasystoles are abolished by exercise, c. you have no evidence of underlying heart disease and d. the extrasystoles don't trouble you particularly, the best advice is usually to ignore them. Drug treatment is not necessary and oftens does more harm than good.

Hope that helps!

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/04/18

Hi Executive.

Hope that helps!

Reply to Cardiologist