Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2012/10/15

irregular bleeding and uterine fibroids

I''m 32 and have a 15month old baby. During pregnancy scans doctors also noticed I have fibroids. I started using the 2month injection for contraception last year august. I''ve recently started irregularly spotting and bleeding, but for now its been going on every day from last month. Is is proper that I was prescribed progynova for this bleeding? What could be best to stop this irregular bleeding and also reduce the size of fibroids

Irregular spotting is a common side effect of the injection. This is usually due to thinning of the womb lining. The Progynova would help build it up. I am not sure for how long you are supposed to take it though. The injection may reduce the size of the fibroids to some extent. There isn't really any medical treatment for them.If they are large, hysterectomy would be the next option.

2
Posted by: SusanQ | 2012/10/19

My advice is either to stick it out with the current treatment or to seek opinion on alternative means of contraception. I think it is a bit brutal to consider hysterectomy as a ''next option''!
If future intervention is ever required in your situation there are many less invasive alternatives including myomectomy and fibroid embolization... All the best SQ

Reply to SusanQ