Posted by: Sally P | 2009-07-07

Irrational Husband

Please assist , my husband is one of the most irrational men iknow , he takes whatever he thinks on any situation and makes it the truth , and once he has decided what is the truth he labels people as liars. I am so tired of his behaviour. On many occasions people have mentioned thing that he has done or said stuff that he did not tell me himself , when I ask him abouit it he accuses these friends of lying and trying to break up our marriage and then says he does not want them in our home again. Recently we have had a similiar incident , with a similiar reaction, except this time I said I am not going to stop seeing and talking to my friend just becos she has made an innocent statement which she had no idea had a deeper bearing on our lives. Now he says he has had enough , does not love me , he hates me and I need to get a divorce attorney (I am thinking this is not such a bad idea) Can anyone explain such behaviour. He screams and shouts and as soon as I raise my voice he screams even louder saing " Stop Screaming at Me !"  This is 20% of his behavior the rest of the time he is a well behaved control freak.

I responded the other time you posted this message

Posted by: Liza | 2009-07-07

It' s difficult if someone cannot admit that they have a problem. It just makes it so much harder to try and help them. My dad has a similar problem. He suffers from dementia and he frequently only remembers bits of things - which his imagination fleshes out into whole false memories about events. Add to that the fact that he is extremely aggressive when confronted - This is why my mom and dad divorced.

Now your husband might not be suffering from dementia, but he may be delusional and truly believes in what may not be the truth or at least the whole truth.

I think that if he won' t admit the problem and get help, that your marriage is doomed. You could try and give him some time to try and get him to admit his problem. If he' s not willing to try however - make sure you have a good divorce lawyer.

Reply to Liza