Question
Posted by: Lizelle | 2011/09/07

Iron rich eating plan

My mother in law is suffering from low iron levels and we are looking for a healthy eating plan that will help pick up her iron levels (she turns 80 in November) I have lists of which foods she should use, but I was wondering whether someone has some or other eating plan we could use for her?

Dear Lizelle
I do not have a specific diet plan for patients with iron deficiency anaemia. In general your mother-in-law should eat a balance diet which includes foods that are rich in iron. I trust that the dr who diagnosed your mother-in-law's anaemia has prescribed the necessary supplements (iron and folic acid, or vit B12)? If not, then please ask him/her to provide your mother-in-law with such a supplement. The following foods are good sources of easily available iron and also of vit B12: liver, red meat, fish, egg yolk, iron-fortified breakfast cereals, maize meal porridge and wheat bread (all maize meal and wheat bread sold in SA is fortified with iron by government regulation), and dried fruit. Having a glass of orange juice or half a grapefruit with her iron-fortified cereal will help your mother-in-law's body absorb the iron more efficiently. If you require a specific diet to be worked out for your mother-in-law, please take her to see a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will compile an individual diet prescription for her.
Wishing you and your mother-in-law all the best, esp for the 80th birthday.

1

Dear Lizelle