Question
Posted by: cvs | 2008/07/16

Iron defiency

My 19 yr old daughter is sleeping her life away! Bloodtest show that her iron levels are low as well as her bloodpressure.She suffer from occasional fainting spells and gets sharp pains at the back of her head.The doctor prescibed Provigil to keep her awake!Does this make sense?She's stopped taking the Provigil as she not able to sleep at all now.
Please can you advise which would be a good multivitamin for her to use.

Dear CVS
If your daughter is suffering from iron deficiency then she should take an iron-folic acid supplement like Ferro-Folic and also eat foods that are rich in iron: liver, red meat, fish, egg yolk, whole grains and cereals esp iron-fortified breakfast cereals, and dried fruit. Let her drink a glass of orange juice or eat half a grapefruit with her breakfast cereal as the vit C in the citrus helps with the absorption of iron. If the Provigil is causing sleeplessness then she must discuss this with the prescribing dr as it may be necessary to change her dose. Provigil is prescribed to prevent a condition called narcolepsy or excessive daytime sleepiness.
I hope your daughter feels better soon.

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/04/26

I have got conflicting info, please help/
Can I drink rooibos tea if I have a iron defiecncy

Posted by: Lynne | 2009/04/26

I have found conflicting info, can I drink rooibos tea.

Reply to Lynne
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008/07/16

Centrum, maybe she could just cut back on the dosis.

Reply to Zexeon