Posted by: Nel | 2009-02-17

Iron deficiency vs excessive sweating

I was diagnosed with iron deficiency due to heavy menstrual bleeding. I also suffer from excessive sweating, especially head sweating, in my hair, my forehead, the sweat runs in droplets down the back of my neck. It is most prevalent in the mornings. I have never had this problem before, only in the past few months. Could the iron deficiency be the cause?

Dear Nel
Iron deficiency usually does not cause abnormal sweating. This can be caused by menopause, hyperhidrosis (, low grade fever, overactive thyroid, anxiety, low blood sugar, alcohol, caffeine, and certain psychiatric drugs. Do you have any other symptoms with this?