Question
Posted by: Janineq | 2011-04-08

Iron Deficiency Anemia and Exercise

Hi, I have been diagnosed with IDA and my current iron level lies on 8 points. I have had a IV-treatment a few days ago (and will have another 2 IV-sessions in the next 2 weeks) and am taking 1000mg of Ferrimed a day.

Would exercise be okay and if so, how much on a daily basis is recommended?

Hi Janineq

Yes, it's fine to continue exercise, but just react to how you are feeling and don't force it too much. Your iron levels are low, and very heavy exercise can cause them to drop even more, but that's only when it's very demanding exercise. Regular exercise in moderate volume is not a problem, and you can continue to do that. Four to five sessions a week, light intensity, 40 to 60 minutes would be fine. But again, if you feel flat and tired, just give it a week or two, allow the supplement to work and then you'll be able to train normally.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011-04-26

Hi Janineq

Reply to fitnessdoc